Friday, March 30, 2007

Friday Trivia II

Here's another thought that occured to me after a conversation with "Sara". I asked Sara and another coworker we'll call "Greg" whether they thought my pants were "high water".

Greg: "No."

Sara: "Yes."

Going on the assumption that women are the far keener observers of fashion, I had to conclude that I've been wearing high water pants to work all these months. Which is a terrible fashion injustice perpetrated on me by the clothing industry.

It is not only an injustice, but a stupid business decision on their part. I am a 31" inseam. Off the rack pants come in 30" and 32", but not 31". So I either end up wearing high waters or wearing pants that drag on the floor and get frayed from being trampled on under the heel of my shoes.

Why is it a bad business decision? Because at 5'11" inches tall I am in the fattest part of the bell curve for height for men. There are probably more 31 inseam men than any other single measure. You would think that the manufacturers would offer more gradations in the fat part of the curve than the narrow ends, but the two inch gradations are standard across the entire curve. Is this logical?

6 Comments:

Blogger Hey Skipper said...

Is this logical?

Yes.

Why?

Because no one, and I do mean absolutely no one, gives a tinkers darn about how middle aged men look.

March 30, 2007 8:12 AM  
Blogger Brit said...

...with one exception: their wives.

March 30, 2007 8:56 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

The shrinking tailor market has cut a deal with clothing makers to ensure that image-conscious consumers do business with them. Then everyone else just deals with high-waters and frayed hems.

March 30, 2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So its a conspiracy eh? I knew it!

March 30, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Susan's Husband said...

Just buy shoes with an extra inch of heel. Or switch to shorts.

March 30, 2007 12:23 PM  
Blogger monix said...

Long socks is my husband's solution.

March 30, 2007 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home