Sunday, July 06, 2008

Duck's Musical Flashback: 1968 - Love is Blue


In February and March of 1968 a haunting lyric from France topped the American pop charts for five weeks, Paul Mauriat's instrumental arrangement of Andre Popp and Pierre Cour's entry in the 1967 Eurovision song contest "L'Amour Est Bleu". My father, a lover of beautiful tunes, what we now call "easy listening" or "maudlin", would turn up the volume on the radio whenever this song was played. I seem to remember that it was the first song that my cousin Freddie and his wife Denise danced to at their wedding reception.
I also remember seeing the song performed by Claudine Longet on her husband (at the time) Andy Williams show, which was memorable for me because being ten at the time Claudine was one of the first women I remember having a crush on, the other being figure skater Peggy Fleming, who won her gold medal in Grenoble, France at the 1968 Winter Olympics at the same time "Love Is Blue" was being played on the airwaves. I guess I had a thing for winsome, waifish brunettes. For those who share my appreciation, here is Claudine Longet's version.

3 Comments:

Blogger Harry Eagar said...

Ah, yes. Claudine Longet. I used to drop a dime in the jukebox and play "Hello Hello" while having a sandwick on my way to a summer job at an illegal betting parlor called Lucky's Skil-O.

Gotta watch out for those waifish brunettes, though. She packed heat and plugged Spider Sabich.

Your kinda woman all the around.

July 07, 2008 9:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it was his gun. But yes, those brunettes are to die for.

July 07, 2008 6:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

http://baiaboyisback.blogspot.fr/2014/10/claudine-longet-love-is-blue-1969.html

October 05, 2014 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home