Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Found it!

After a great deal of research, undertaken despite the absence of any grants, and fueled only by a Tall -- which is to say, small -- Coffee of the Day, I found the uppermost tippity-top summit of the double extra-greasy slippery slope that led to a new victim class: self inebriating, debauched through absolutely no fault of their own coeds who are apparently smart enough to go to college, but too stupid oppressed to know any better.

We stumbled over the precipice on this day in 1958:
London: "Débutante" became a word with shaken meaning as Buckingham Palace opened its gates to the last series of young women being presented at court. After the curtsies are made this afternoon, the old tradition of presentations will be discarded, in accordance with Queen Elizabeth II's wishes.

Thereafter, according to some prophecies in London's upper social levels, the original definition of "débutante" will have lost its anchor and be free to drift into any sort of new and dangerous interpretation.

The end of the dream world of most ambitious British mothers also is calculated to have a shattering effect in some American homes. This year's trans-Atlantic crop of young women is destined to have no successors bearing the official "court" stamp.
So, there you have it. Ironically, instead of the ugly unshaven head of empty nihilistic libertine atheism, as some would reflexively suspect, it was all the Queen's fault.

6 Comments:

Blogger Harry Eagar said...

Who knew?

Not me.

I thought college girls and high school girls were just natural drunks. They were when I went to high school and college, but that was long ago

March 20, 2008 3:31 PM  
Blogger Hey Skipper said...

As usual, I must have been hanging around with the wrong crowd.

None of the young women I knew, or was around, at the time had anything like inebriation to the point of staggering the fine line between willingness and unconsciousness.


Darn. Just my luck.

March 20, 2008 6:44 PM  
Blogger Susan's Husband said...

I knew a few, but it wasn't common in my crowd. I would generally encounter plastered young women when they'd show up at my college house to crash because it was a safe place to fall asleep while drunk.

March 20, 2008 7:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So is blogging strictly a nerd behavior? Is there anyone in the Post Judd realm (or Judd realm, for that matter) who was a ladies man in their youth?

March 21, 2008 4:40 AM  
Blogger Susan's Husband said...

Well, I don't mean to brag, but I have been out on dates with six different women in my life. Top that!

March 21, 2008 5:59 AM  
Blogger lonbud said...

As one who is not unfamiliar himself with the 'roll and scream' experience (though mine would have been more accurately described 'roll and sneak away'), I don't know that what we've got here isn't more a case of modernity's increase in information awareness than it is evidence of any actual shift in gender/sexual tectonics.

I think he more interesting aspects of the issues in play today are found here.

March 21, 2008 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home