Sunday, April 24, 2005

I'm Baaaaack!

For those of you who have wondered whether Duck, Skipper and Brit have been kidnapped by Al Quaeda operatives or are sitting in some jail in Cancun after a bad night out on spring break, let me reassure you that Skipper and myself are alive and quite well. As for Brit, I have no idea where he's lurking nowadays. But an explanation of our prolonged absence from the Daily Duck is in order.

I must confess that the wake of the Schiavio affair left me in quite a funk. There was a level of vitriol and unmasked contempt in the arguments of the Save Terri camp that I haven't witnessed in some time. That, plus my normal post-election year lull in interest in public affairs, and the fact that I was laid off from my job in April have tended to distract me from blogging.

Skipper and I did manage to get together during one of his on-call flight days in Minneapolis in April. Jeff is doing double duty with his regular IT job, plus flying duty for Northwest Airlines, so his time for blogging has been unfortunately squeezed.

I pledge to post at least 2 articles per week, going forward. Now that I've been searching for a new job for five weeks, it's time to find a distraction from that. Hopefully we can re-earn the "Daily" moniker for this blog.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brit said...

Welcome back!

I'm still here, and TofE is currently still ticking over at a comfortable rate of about 1 post per week.

But I think there are at least three important rules for blogging sanity:

1) Put real life first.
2) Remember that you have no obligations to post frequently, so do it when you feel like it and don't feel guilty.
3) Remember that Orrin-like levels of posting frequency can only be explained as a kind of unhealthy obessive-compulsive behaviour.

Anyway, I look forward to reading your forthcoming musings.

Andrew

May 16, 2005 1:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Brit! I'm glad that I haven't lost my audience during the lull. Of course real life is more important, but you need a break from real life also, and that is why I started the DD.

I browsed ToE last night, seems like you're getting quite an audience yourself. Good luck!

Duck

May 16, 2005 6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Working seven days a week--I am not exagerating in any way--has a way of drastically shrinking one's horizons.

Which is somewhat ironic, since one of the reasons I work all the time provides me with the expansive horizons one can only get from a 35,000 foot perch.

On the plus side, at least from my wife's point of view, is that I combine multiple income streams with the inestimable virtue of near total absence.

I also share Duck's despair with the whole Schiavo thing. Being of an analytical bent, I have utterly no patience for ad hominem attacks, particularly when the descend to outright lying.

I still hope to hold up my end of the bargain. My Ford gig looks like going on some sort of hiatus starting in mid-June, and being only an airline pilot leaves absolutely no excuses.

May 16, 2005 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home